Saturday, July 24, 2010

Cabin, Sweet Cabin

The highlight of the summer for the boys is our trip to the cabin every 4th of July. It is the topic of numerous conversations, and on a daily basis I have to tell them how many more days until we leave for the cabin. This year, I made a countdown calendar because it was getting to be to much asking.

They love it and I can see why. When they get there, the first place they go is the cozy loft full of Lego's and lincoln logs. From there, it's down to the dock for some fishing. That leads to swimming, and then it's time for a walk to the beach for some swinging or teeter totter. The days are filled with summer. Pure summer. There is no time for tv or phones, or for me: facebook. That's right- I went an entire 10 days with no computer (well, I got on-line once at the library). I also went an entire 10 days not cooking, cleaning, or emptying an dishwasher. When I got home, it took me a few days to get used to making dinner again. My mom takes care of everything while we are there, including spending time with the boys and doing the tasks that get repetitive like brushing their teeth. It is such a treat. By the end of the week, I actually get tired of sitting.

David and my siblings came up for the weekend, so the boys had fun with their cousins and Daddy and Uncle Sam spent time fishing with them. The first day we were there Tyler caught a big bass on his little Lighting McQueen fishing pole and he was so proud of himself. He is so content fishing. His only request is a chair, and he will sit there for quite some time waiting for the fish to bite.  

On the 4th we took the boys out in the canoe and kayaks to watch the fireworks. It is so fun to be on the water to watch fireworks. They love it and we don't have to fight crowds. It's only the people who have cabins on the private lake.

By Monday most everybody had left, including David. He has a hard time getting the week after the 4th off work. So every year it is just me, Mom, and the boys for the week. We have no trouble staying occupied. I brought up a night stand I had been wanting to paint and spent way to much time on that project. I also read a whole book, and organized the boys' baby books.

The rest of the time we shopped, went to Harbor Springs, went out to eat a lot, played Sequence, and kayaked. The boys swam all the time. They had a great time doing run and jumps, bouncing on the water trampoline, and playing pirate with Grammy.


I asked the boys to think of something they really wanted to do on their vacation. Jake wanted to have a bonfire, s'mores, and sparklers and I can't remember Tylers request. He usually follows whatever Jake wants anyway. Mine was take the boys to Pirates Cove, a putt-putt place we pass every time we go to Harbor but never stop. It was the coolest putt putt place I have been to. I definitely recommend it.


And vacation is not complete without a stop at Yummy's in Harbor Springs for 50 cent Itsy Bitsy ice cream cone. It is the perfect size for kids and you can't beat the price.
Thanks Mom for all the wonderful memories the boys will have of the cabin!


2 comments:

Nicki said...

Great pics! So much fun. This actually made me cry, I miss it so much!

Jessica said...

Looks like lots of fun! We just got done with our week by Harbor Springs too! :) Pirates Cove is definitely a lot of fun. We opted not to do it this year, but we will next year for sure! I remember going there years ago and loving it!!