Tuesday, November 9, 2010

The two things

The two things that are driving me crazy right now with the boys.

1. Every single morning they come down stairs and the first thing they ask for is to turn on the t.v. I do let the boys watch television, but only when I need them too. Some examples are: when I need a nap, when I need a shower, when I need to do something that requires concentration, when they are fighting, making dinner, or need some computer time. I *try* very hard only to let them watch an hour per day. If I let them in the morning, that only leaves me with a 1/2 hour left. Not enough! I understand when they first wake up, they need to slowly work into the day, much like me and my coffee. But listening to them whine and beg every morning for some t.v. starts the morning off sour, and that is no fun.

2. The second gray hair maker- treats. I admit I have a big sweet tooth. I love anything sweet, and I have been known to give myself a treat after breakfast, lunch, dinner and maybe even through the day at my leisure. The boys expect a treat after lunch and dinner. Every single day. I let them. But what is annoying is after every. single. bite. is the question "Did I eat enough to get a treat?" Our rule is your plate has to be clean to get a treat, but it is very lenient. And there is controversy with making kids eat all the food on the plate, which some think causes obesity when the kids get older. It makes dinner not so pleasant when I have to be the referee for dinner vs. treats. And dinners always seem to suck because I am always concentrating on what and how much they have eaten. Actually come to think of it, the whole food thing in general makes me annoyed. The boys are always asking for juice, a snack, or a treat. I get to the point where I am so run down that I don't feel like explaining why they can't have juice all day. I don't think my kids have drank a drop of plain water ever.  And it's always a battle of some sorts. I can only blame myself and model good eating habits, and if I didn't have the stuff in my house, it wouldn't be an issue. But doesn't that take the joy out of life? A house with no treats? Blah.

No comments: