Monday, May 28, 2012

Memorial Day 2012

We decided to skip a trip to the cabin, and work on projects around the house for Memorial weekend. The boys were a bit disappointed, but they will have plenty of time up north this summer. David put my window boxes on the house a few weeks ago and they needed to be filled. I found a picture on Pinterest and headed to Glei's on Thursday. I've never really bought flowers for our house, and so I am a beginner and needed some help. The customer service was horrible, and I walked out in tears. (It was that time of the month, if you know what I mean).

 On Friday, I had plans to meet my friend Sarah at Puddingstone Farm. I love to take the boys  to see all the farm animals. I think this year is our 3rd or 4th year going. Jake was at school, and being that he is almost 8, I knew he would have no interest in the animals. Even Tyler didn't show much enthusiasm. Thank goodness I still have Collin to share this tradition with! Although he cried and wanted nothing to do with the animals when I took him in the barn. I think all the chickens roaming around freaked him. He did like the bunnies and miniature horses outside though. Didn't take a single picture- yea me! After the Glei's fiasco, I was determined to fill my damn window boxes. After all, I had been wanting these for 5 long years and they needed to be filled! Puddingstone also has 3 greenhouses, so the owner and another employee helped me tremendously and did a wonderful job. I would highly recommend Puddingstone if you ever need flowers. They have a great selection and prices. I never realized how damn expensive flowers are! Especially when you have to fill 4 long window boxes!   Here is a sneak peek:
After Puddingstone, we went to get ice cream and then I spent the rest of the afternoon planting flowers. At dinnertime, my friend Keri came. She offered to watch the boys so David and I could go out for a date. We ran errands instead and went to The Hobbit, Tractor Supply, Menards, and then Ground Round for dinner. We wanted to eat outside, so we thought it would be a good choice. Not good at all. Yucky food, yucky atmosphere. After dinner we stopped by Chad and Lindsay's.

David had to finish up a few projects at the rental house, so he was gone most of the day on Saturday. I cleaned and made food because we had a few friends over later. It rained a bit during the day, but cleared up by the time everyone showed up. There were six adults and six kids, which was just enough to be borderline crazy, but it was fun.

 We made burgers/hotdogs, macaroni salad, watermelon, taco dip, chips, and brownies. I had fun catching up with Sarah and Jenna while we wrangled the kids. David, Jason, and Kevin did the grilling and beer drinking. After a bonfire and smores, we some kids to bed and some in front of a movie. Keri stopped by and us girls got a little crazy. Keri's flip flop broke, so we got some duck tape out to fix it.

I had to be up by 7:30 on Sunday because I was scheduled to do the church nursery. After church, David pressure washed the deck, one of the big jobs we had on our to-do list. We stained it a yucky brown color last summer, and it was already peeling up. It was a mess. The stain came off good, but it took about 5 hours to do the whole deck. Later, Grandma Dar came down for dinner. We had hotdogs again, baked beans, watermelon and french fries. After dinner, it was time for our favorite show as a family: AFV. At bedtime it was still hot, after being 90 for most of the day. The boys asked if they could sleep out on the trampoline.

It was the perfect night for it. The mosquitoes aren't too bad yet. They loved it and I was happy they got to do something fun while we had a "work weekend."

I was cranky on Memorial day and so were the boys. They stayed up late the previous 2 nights. I had no patience left and David had to fix a leak at the rental, so I was solo parenting again. By 11:30, I had had enough. I packed up the kids and picked up Grandma Dar. We went to McDonalds and had a picnic while we waited for the parade to start. Again, I took no pictures. Although it was hot again today-92! There was a nice breeze so it wasn't too bad at the parade. When we got home, David was sanding the deck. The boys laid down for a bit, before Grandma picked them back up to go swimming/ fishing at a friends house. David, Collin and I stayed back and cleaned up outside. It was a nice mix of work and play for the long weekend. It feels good to get some projects checked off, and have some fun with friends.

2 comments:

Leslie Collins said...

Your flowers look gorgeous!! I am glad you had better luck @ Puddingstone. :)

Sherrie said...

Your window boxes look like Harbor Springs to me! Sounds like a fun weekend and what a treat to sleep out on the trampoline. Glad you'll be over your grouchiness before we arrive(: