Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Good Life

There was nothing special, extraordinary, or unusual about today. It was just good. Just plain good. I woke up early enough to have coffee in peace. While I drank my coffee, I wondered where to escape while my house got cleaned. Once a month, I get a day off. Cleaning lady day is my day off. It is a guaranteed good day. I leave for 3 hours and come home to a magically clean house. Today, I had nothing of importance that I had to check off my usually long list of errands. Wander Target? The Library? I decided to head to Lowes. I know, lame. But, we have been wanting to re-finish our sticky, glitter covered, name carved it in, dull, cheap Hobby Lobby dining room table for at least 2 years. The few weekends we don't have anything to do, the thought of loading the kids in the car to get the supplies and then heading home to even start the project sounds daunting. With the weather being so unusually nice, I thought maybe we could squeeze this project out this weekend. Why not get a head start and get all the supplies?

The magic of the cleaning lady starts with an already picked up house. This is the hard part. Having the house picked up (while the kids are there), including all the dishes, beds made, kids dressed and fed, and me ready to go all by 8:45am. This always starts "cleaning lady day" off with a tich of mad scramble stress, but it is soooo worth it my friends. Do a drop off on Ty and Collin and I were headed to Lowes. We even had time for a JoAnn stop and a quick Target. It to top it off, it was gorgeous outside.

For lunch, I set up the outdoor table for Ty and Collin ( I didn't want to mess up my floors, I need at least 1 hour to admire them before they get trashed). We grilled some hot dogs and ate outside. In March. Collin took his nap with the window open and Tyler and I  brought up the outdoor furniture and screens.

Jake came home from school and the boys played while I put screens in and washed windows. After Collin got up, we puttered around outside and then I started dinner. I was so looking forward this dinner, and had specifically planned due to the weather forecast. Steaks on the grill and foil pack potatoes. We threw in some frozen corn too. We ate our dinner outside with the background of the spring peepers in full symphony. And there's more- Girl Scout Peanut Butter Patty's for desert. I was feeling sorry for myself after eating those stupid cookies, because I had not been on the treadmill that day or any of the previous 5 days before this. Jake loves to play tag, so I did for about 3 minutes. Then I dug out the game Tag Tails and we ran around for another 3 minutes. I got bored soon after and quit. Jake asked to take a walk and that sounded boring too. I offered a bike ride and he agreed. We left Tyler because he still had training wheels and couldn't go up hills. That really pissed him off. While Jake, Collin and I were gone, David took Tyler to get his bike out of storage and practiced with him riding a two wheeler. He did great! Jake, Collin, and I had fun on our bike ride. I think I burned off some more cookie, and got to spend some time with just Jake.
Now the kids are in bed, this mama has documented the day, and the house is still clean. It's a good life. (Could have been better with a glass of wine).

2 comments:

Sherrie said...

I'm so happy you are bloggin again.The faraway Nana and Grandpa love the pictures and all the details and your wonderful sense of humor.

Sherrie said...

P.S. Please tell Tyler congratulations on riding his bike without the training wheels....