Wednesday, December 9, 2009

I am not ashamed to admit

That we only spent $100.00 for each of the boys for Christmas. I am impressed at my thriftiness. They are still little, and if you spoil them now, they will always expect it. Which means when they are 9 or 10 and want all the expensive video games and ect, they will expect it to be there. Another reason is we are spending Christmas in Colorado and I will have to haul all the gifts out there for Christmas day. I also think of the trip as part of their presents-we are planning on skiing one day out there which will not be cheap. And don't forget Grandmas and Grandpas! The kids have 3 sets of grandparents and 2 sets of great-grandparents buying them gifts.

I did a lot of planning for their Christmas presents. The things they asked for changed on a daily basis, but Jake did ask for an Easy Bake oven quite a few times. This item is located down the GIRL aisle, but I had Nana get it for him anyway. I'm thinking he envisions it in his room and will be able to bake cookies after he goes to bed to eat at his leisure.

My one goal was to not buy a single present that required batteries. I dislike screwing little screws, making sure I have the correct size, ect. That is a hard task in this day and age!

I absolutly love the company eeboo. They have CUTE toys and games. I got quite a few eeboo items this year.

Here's what they got:
Jake
  • Matchbox meg rig space rover- (part of a set he already has) 17.00
  • eeboo United States map for his wall 20.00
  • Saucer Scramble game-oops needs batteries 18.00
  • Playmobil Ranger Post- it's a deer hunter guy-so cute! 30.00
  • Leapster Batman game 10.00
  • Leapter Tag Scooby Doo book 7.00

Total: $102.00

Tyler

  • 5 Automoblox minis -a little pricey-worth it!! 35.00
  • Rubber piggy bank- learn about saving 14.00
  • eeboo lacing cards-for the car long car ride 14.00
  • eeboo story cards-make up your own stories 10.00
  • Lincoln logs 14.00
  • Play doh burger builder 10.00
  • Wee Sing finger plays CD 10.00

Total: 107.00

They each will get six gifts, I think Ty might have seven but oh well. I think I spent another 15.00 for stockings: matchbox monster trucks, a DVD, candy, dollar store stuff.

I will say although I feel bad doing it, I ordered a majority from Amazon.com. It was all free shipping and I did it after they went to bed so I didn't have to worry about someone watching them while I went shopping. I was hoping the Toy House had their 20.00 off 100.00 coupon, but they didn't do it this year! I got some things there, and some from Target and K-Mart.
Now I just have to wrap it all up!
If you have kids and don't mind sharing, I would love to know what you got them! I love toy shopping :)

11 comments:

Sara said...

Peter says: If Nana gets him the easy bake oven, I'll get him the pink ballet shoes!

Nicole said...

I am frugal as well and probably spent about $100 each on the boys as well. I won't be ashamed to admit that I buy my kids (and nieces... b/c my sister and SIL don't mind) stuff from resale shops. Yes, I do. I do I do I do.

We "try" to stick to the 4 gift rule (Something you want, something you need, something to play with, something to read) and then Santa brings the stocking and some "WOW" gifts.

Here is what they're getting:

PORTER:
-PJ's (Target $7)
-Pillow with vehicles on it to match bedroom ($4 clearance at Target. No... not Disney Cars themed)
-Gloves (maybe $5 at Old Navy)
-Trucks with trailer ($5)
-A couple books ($5 or so)
-Connect 4 Game ($12)

(OMG as I read this I'm realizing I didn't spend much at all!!)

HUDSON:
-Fisher Price Barn ($5 at garage sale!!)
-Trucks with trailer ($5)
-Book with shapes on ribbons ($16)
-Thomas Book ($1 garage sale)
-Pajamas ($7)

Santa is bringing them each a Cabela's Truck ($20 each) and an Bilibo ($30 each) and the UP DVD ($13). Their stockings are going to have an assortment of matchbox cars, Thomas Trains (from garage sale), and misc. things I've picked up throughout the year (slinky, gum, silly putty etc)

So... let me add this up.... including Santa gifts I spent:

PORTER: $88
HUDSON: $84

WOO HOOO!! I can't believe that!

Nicole said...

Wait... I also remembered I bought them each a cute little stool from Ikea to sit on at their train table. $8 each.

Sherrie said...

I think Jake has 7 too because what about the space helmet? Nice shopping Sadie.

Sadie said...

Sara- Please tell Peter to keep his nasty comments to himself, especially about my kids and cat.

Nicole- I think you get the award for best shopping. There's nothing wrong with shopping at re-sale stores-when you go to resell it at a gargage sale, you'll get what you paid for it, making it free! I got Jake a big box of Duplo from a resale store for his birthday- best $40.00 I've ever spent.

Mom- I forgot about the helmet! So with Jake I went a little over budget!!

Stacey Richardson said...

Dang Phoof! Good Job:) We won't even go into my list. I am a WAY over spender apprarently... but I am going to do better next year! Thank you for that.

ann said...

I think you did great! Now I'm going to have to look up eeboo. All I got for Josiah (6 months old) is a teething blanket with little things on the corners to chew on...and some warm boots. He doesn't know the difference yet!!!

Sara said...

Phoof - don't be mad at Peter. Can we come over and partake of whatever Jake's first baking creation is? It can be like a tea party :)

P.S. Good job keeping your kids' gifts to a minimum!

Stephanie said...

Tell Jake he can bake me some cookies!

We got Grant a kangaroo climber we scored on craiglist for $30! And I also got him a play kitchen that was on clearance for $30 and some play food.

CJR said...

I love the 4 gift rule idea of Nicole's! Great shopping Sadie! I got Rece a couple of fisher price toys one from us and one from Santa - they were 60% off at Kohls and then I had an extra 15%. I got $30+ toys for $8-10 each! I also got him some stocking things- like new sippy's as we are going to be bottle weaning very shortly.

Stepping on Legos said...

Hey girl - are you a part of any buying groups? The group I'm part of does automoblox and eeboo and other cool purchases all the time at dirt cheap prices! Its too late obviously for this past holiday season but there's always a birthday or holiday coming up! If you aren't already a member and want to join, drop me an email and I'll hook you up!