Sunday, December 6, 2009

If Anybody Still Reads This

I am still here. I can't believe it's almost been a month! Talk about a stale blog. Yuck. And now I have to catch up on:
My 30th Birthday

Thanksgiving

Tyler's 3rd Birthday

My mom's visit here from Colorado
Christmas Shopping

And that's all I can remember because it's been too long!!
Anyway, I'm skipping all that old stuff for now, and moving onto my next project.
I'm trying to do a Christmas activity with the boys for the next 25 days. So, with it already being the 6th of December we have accomplished some. Here is the list. These ideas I got from other blogs, the web, or magazines. The numbers coordinate with the date.

1. Write letters to Santa. I got a cute kit from Target last year on clearance for .75 cents so I couldn't wait to use it. Jake had to write his, but Tyler just cut pictures and glued them on the paper. A cute book to go along with writing letters to Santa is: My Penguin Osbert by Elizabeth Cody Kimmel. I found this book on a blog I use a lot: No Time For Flashcards.2. Today was Tyler's Birthday so I didn't have time for an activity today. His Birthday was enough activity for me! The boys helped me make his cake so that counts for me!!

3. Make snow globes. I found this idea in a magazine, but when it came time to do the activity do you think I could find the magazine??? I got some snowmen and trees from Michael's, but next time I'm going to have to be more prepared for this activity. We glued the figurines tonight and that is all we did because I wanted them to be really dry. I used epoxy glue and that did not work so great.

4. Today was a special outing for Tylers Birthday. We went to Great Lakes Crossing, which has the Polar Express snow globes on display so that was the special Christmas activity today.

5. Today we finished the snow globes, but I am not posting pictures because they did not turn out! The glue did not stick and the trees made the water cloudy. The glitter I bought was to light and we really need to just re-do them. I am not sure where to find cute figurines that will stay glued down. I just need the magazine and more preparation!

6. Today we did a Christmas tree craft from No Time For Flashcards. I was ready for a simple craft, and David even helped cut shapes out- his is the giant star. It's a good way to teach shapes-the ornaments are circles, squares, and triangles.

7. Today there is a craft and cookies at the Summit branch library-love the library! Hopefully we will make it, but sometimes Tyler just likes to stay home and play! Oh, and mailing Santa letters at the mall.

8. Charlie Brown Christmas is on tonight. We are having popcorn and watching it snuggled up on the couch.

9. Make popcorn and cranberry garland for the birds. A book to go a long with it: Night Tree by Eve Bunting.

10. Make cookies. Not sure what kind yet.

11. Make cocoa, get in pjs, and drive around to look at Christmas lights. Any good spots? Or do Nite Lites at the fairgrounds. Not sure if I want to spend 10.00 or not.

12. Make felt ornaments. Trace tree cookie cutter onto green felt, then punch multiple holes. Then glue beads over the holes.

13. Visit Santa at the mall. I don't think Tyler will be participating in this activity!

14. Make a snowflake garland. Or paint pinecones.

15. Make snack for Jake's snack day which is the next day. I need to be finding ideas for this.

16. Make elves ornament. We did these last year and they turned out really cute. 17. I think Jake has a dentist appointment today, so it is a good day to visit the dollar store for the kitty's presents and one for daddy from the boys. We will also get a toy for Toys for Tots today.

18. Make gingerbread cookies and read the Gingerbread Boy book.


19. Watch a Christmas movie- not sure which one.

20. Today we are celebrating Christmas with my dad and my siblings. That is the activity!

21. Today we will be in the car driving to Colorado. I have Charlie and the Chocolate factory book on CD. We will be listening to that and my kids will not be asking "are we there yet?"

22. Hopefully we will be in Colorado today. This is were it will get a bit challenging because I'm sure my mom has some fun things planned for us. Hint hint, mom!

23. Make rice pudding. This is a tradition from my Grandma. You serve the rice pudding in bowls and put a nut in a random bowl. While you are eating the pudding, whoever finds the nut gets good luck the rest of the year!

24. Christmas Eve- not sure what to do for this special day. Any suggestions??

25. Merry Christmas!! Open presents and be thankful for all that we have.

If you have any special activites you like to do please let me know! I'm always looking for new ideas!

8 comments:

Sherrie said...

Sorry about the snowglobes. It looked like a cute idea. I can't write anymore because I have to get some cute activities going.....

The Knoll Family said...

A fun thing to do on Christmas Eve is make Reindeer Food and then sprinkle on the lawn for the reindeer to eat that night. I have found that sprinkling it on cement or another surface that you can broom off helps, especially if you want it gone by the next morning.

The recipe for Reindeer Food includes: oatmeal, chocolate chips and sugar to make it sparkle so the reindeer can see it and locate it. I like to use different textures and colors of sugar.

You can recite this little poem as you leave it:

Sprinkle on the lawn at night
The moon will make it sparkle bright
As Santa's reindeer fly and roam
This will guide them to your home.

A book to coordinate with the food could be Olive The Other Reindeer or ‘Twas The Night Before Christmas.

CJR said...

I still read! I love all the ideas, you are so creative!

Stephanie said...

Great ideas!

I loved the part where you are getting both the cat and David's present at the dollar store.

Drew would like me to let you know that David deserves a dollar store present since he didn't invite us to your birthday party. And also, just because we are poor doesn't mean we wouldn't have gotten you a present for your birthday. HAHAHAHAHA. Leave it to Drew. Tell David those things.

Stephanie said...

Drew would also like me to remove the HAHAHAHA from my post. He said his words are not a joke and tell David to not call because it's over. Tell him that.

Maybe my husband should just do his own commenting from now on. I bet all your readers are reading this too.

Sara said...

Whewww! It took a little while to get the dust off to read your blog, but I'm glad I persevered because it was worth it! I love all your ideas.

As for an idea on the 20th - I've got you covered. We are making the Martha Stewart bag puppets (snowman, Santa, etc.) I got last year half off. We are also decorating the Williams-Sonoma car cakes. I bought the candy at W.S. on sale several years ago and it is time to use it up!

P.S. Maybe David should get Drew and Stephanie a present from the dollar store and kiss and make up!:)

Sadie said...

Yes, he does need to kiss and make up with Drew and Stephanie! That is unacceptable! And it's not because you could'nt get me a present because I bet we are more poor than you!!Hahaha. That is what happens when you have a guy do the planning of the party-something or someone always gets forgotten-sorry it had to be you guys I would have loved to see ya!
And don't feel bad about Davids dollar store present-I also got him the Man Groomer for his hairy body. Hahaha.

Jessy Schoch said...

I'm so happy you posted, missed reading your blog :( I do have a few idea's for you. First of all I made the snow globes with Jack's preschool class, use a glue gun to glue on the trees and stuff!! Also I remember putting something in the water to make it a little thicker so the glitter wouldn't just fall...hmmm...maybe karo syrup or something like that. It was just a tiny amount, if I remember I'll let you know!! We made some cute ornaments last year with cookie cutters. You make a dough (like cookie dough) but it's cinnamon, cloves...hmmm...I'll have to look that recipe up for you too!! :) Jeez, I can't remember anything. Hey I think I made them for the boys preschool class last year, do you remember that? Anyways you just roll out the dough and and cut them out, we used a straw to make a hole on the top to hang them up!! We just hung them up on our kitchen tree and they still smell sooo good!!

Your such a great Mommy!! Heading to CO for Christmas sounds like so much fun, hope you guys have a great Christmas!!

Tell Jake Harrison says "HI"!!