Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Colorado Christmas

We left for Colorado on Sunday, December 20. We left later in the day, with the intention of driving straight through. Tyler took a nap as soon as we started driving. Three hours later, he woke up and started projectile vomiting. ALL OVER THE VAN. We stopped at a hotel, and they gave us towels to clean up the mess the best we could. David considered turning around and driving home. We got Ty cleaned up the best we could, and he did it again. And then again, and then again in Cracker Barrel bathroom. The van SMELLED. We got the boys settled for the night, and David kept driving. I tried driving from 4-4:30am but that was all I could contribute to the 20 hour drive. We stopped at a rest stop from 5:30-6:00am but that was all the sleep David got. I on the other hand, fell asleep in Battle Creek and took naps off and on the rest of the way.

We made it to Colorado on Monday morning and arrived at my Mom and Bob's by lunch. Here is the view as we got closer to the mountains. Being able to show the boys what real mountains look like was worth the puke and looong drive.
On Tuesday we were ready for skiing. We went to Arapahoe Basin which is a smaller, cheaper ski area. The bigger ski resorts are also near my Mom's house, but it is 98.00 a lift ticket! This was a great place for Jake to learn because it wasn't as crowded. As soon as we got there, Tyler puked again, which he hadn't done since the car ride out. I took a few runs while my Mom stayed with him. Grandpa Bob took the time to teach Jake how to ski, which was really nice and I think they had some good Grandpa bonding time.



After my five runs, I was ready to go in. Colorado skiing is so much different that Michigan because the runs are loong. This was also my first time skiing since I was 13 and switched to snowboarding. I was afraid there might be an Olympic scout out looking for talent, so I put the snowboard away for this trip. Ty took a nap on the bench in the ski lodge so I sat with him for a few hours while the guys went out. Then I took a few more runs and called it a day. Jake did great, but he also had a professional for an instructor. He loved his poles and the chair lift.

Wednesday it snowed all day. It was beautiful and we were exctited to have a white Christmas. The only bad part was we couldn't go anywhere. My Mom's house is at 8,000 feet on a mountain so that means a lot of sharp turns and hills. We couldn't even make it out out the driveway with our van because it is so steep and the sharp turns. Here is the view from their house.Later in the day, Bob drove Mom, Ty, and I to the walk in clinic to make sure he was wasn't sick. That took up most of the afternoon. Jake got sick later that night and vomited all over the hallway. What a mess!

I was ready to get away from the sickness Thursday, so Mom and I made our way to Denver to Ulta for some girly make-up mom/daughter time. We had fun. When we got home it was time for church Christmas eve service. David got sick when we got home from church, and I named our family the hill-billy's. On Christmas, David was sick for most of the morning, but we still had a nice time with the kids and Mom and Bob. They were great hosts to us hillbilly's. We had great food, and they spent lots of time with the kids while I slept. I think the altitude really wore me out because I was always napping. Some friends stopped by for dessert later in the day.


Sledding behind the house was Saturday and then the Denver Zoo lights. That was really festive and the kids loved seeing the animals that were out.
Skating Sunday. I can't believe how many people were out for skate the lake. It was packed! Everyone is so active in Colorado either skating, skiing, hiking, or biking. You would never see that many people out skating in Jackson. Tyler loved skating, but he didn't do much.














By Monday, Mom and I needed to shop again. So we sent David and Bob to Breckenridge to do some big boy skiing and we took Jake and Ty to Denver to a trampoline place and then to the mall. Jake had a blast at the trampoline place, I took Ty to the car for a nap.

The Animals:

I have to share the animals that can be found in my Mom's yard. It is so fun. We also saw some mountain sheep or goats on the way to the ski place, but I didn't get a picture.






We left on Tuesday. I drove all through Nebraska thanks to the 80's and 90's channel on the Sirrus radio. I couldn't get enough of those old songs you forget about. We also listened to Charlie and the Chocolate Factory book on tape which we all enjoyed. No one threw up and we made it straight through again. Thank-you for a wonderful vacation, Mom & Bob. Love, The Hillbilly's.

2 comments:

Chrystal said...

Oh my, what a Christmas! Even with all the sickness, it sounds like you had a great vacation. And I love the pics, Sadie. The animal ones look like something from a National Geographic magazine!

Jessy Schoch said...

Looks like you guys had a great time!! Makes me think maybe we should of moved there...haha!! We loved the idea of living in Denver, but then I hated the idea of still having to go through winters :)