Wednesday, March 7, 2012

The Last Snowfall

We had a big snowfall the last weekend in February and I had a feeling it would probably be the last. I try to get out sledding at least once with the boys and had not done it yet. So, after dropping Jake off at school on Friday, we bundled up and got our sledding on. This was Collin's first time and he loved it. At first, Tyler and I took him half way up the hill, but after about 3 runs he was ready to go to the top. Tyler was with him at the top and got him going down, while I waited at the bottom to catch him. It was a beautiful morning- the sun was out and it wasn't too cold. I even ended up taking my coat off. We ended up being outside close to 2 hours. It was also perfect snowman making snow, so Tyler and I got to work and made a nice man of snow. The fresh air must have worked magic on Collin, he slept for 3 1/2 hours.

Saturday, David worked for most of the day. Jake had his boy scout pinewood derby, so I took the boys by myself. Everyone had family or at least their husband/wife there and I was feeling pretty lonely. It didn't help that I couldn't stop thinking about the previous years derby, which my dad attended. It was one of the few things he came to see Jake participate in. It was just one of those days. To top it off, Jake came in 4th every single race. He did not put much effort into constructing his car and it showed. I was disappointed that he didn't try harder. David didn't get home until close to 5. I hadn't done much with the boys except snap at them for most of the day. I left David with Collin and loaded up the boys for some sledding at Victory Hill in Albion. To keep my crappy day going, I made sure to get mad at David for not coming with us, even though he had just gotten home from work, and it would have been impossible to bring Collin along.




Once we got to the hill, I made sure to have a good time. I love taking the kids to do fun things. It beats being home trying to play whatever "pretend" thing they have going on. (I have no imagination and get bored fast). The hill wasn't busy at all and it wasn't too cold. We had a great time coming up with different combinations of sleds & riders. Around 6:30, it started to get dark, but the hill had lights. The boys thought it was so cool to sled at night. Everyone had gone home at that point so the hill was empty. Someone had constructed a jump out of a hay bale, but I was too chicken to try it with other adults around. Now that everyone was gone, I had my chance. I was a tich nervous, but did it anyway. I got pretty good air on it. The landing jarred my neck a bit. The boys hit it once or twice too. I laughed at them- I have a weird sense of humor and only laugh when someone falls. Jake somehow peed his pants soon after, so we left. I felt much better after we left. Just good bonding and laughing with my boys. A good ending to a crappy day.

We had to really make up for all the sledding we had missed out on at this point, so Sunday we took the kids back out sledding to the little hill behind our house. The pictures will sum everything up- no description needed.

I'm kinda glad David didn't go with us to Victory Hill, I would have been embarrassed by the weird faces he makes while sledding.

No comments: