Sunday, March 4, 2012

Where The Red Fern Grows

Jake and Tyler have been really into hunting lately, and Jake requested some hunting books from the library. Where The Red Fern Grows came  up in the library search I knew they would love it. We haven't read many long chapter books together, mostly Laura Ingalls books. I was really excited to get back into reading with them. Lately we've been doing books on CD at night because I needed a break from reading to them. Don't get me wrong, I love reading to the boys, but I've been reading to them since Jake was a baby, so after 7 years I needed a break and they have really enjoyed listening to Adventures in Odyssey anyway.

We started Red Fern way back in January and it took 6 weeks to get through it, but we did it. The boys loved it, especially Tyler. When Jake was at school he would ask me to read it to him, which I couldn't because Jake would miss what was happening in the story. He even would tell me I could just re-read the part later to Jake. Half way through the book, Tyler also asked me where all the pictures are, which I thought was funny. I told him he would just have to make the pictures in his head. At night, when I stopped reading, Tyler would call out "No Mama! Read more!"
I loved it when the boys would explain what was happening in the story to David. And half way through, Jake started asking for his own set of hunting dogs. The part I dreaded most was the end of the story, when the dogs die. I thought it would be hard for the boys to read a sad story, but it turns out it was harder for me than it was for the boys. I was the one crying as I read the pages. The boys just looked at me like I was crazy. One of the many differences between boys and girls I guess.

It was so nice to have a book read when the boys were bored or just needed some down time without always turning the TV on. I didn't just read it to them at night, we read on Sunday afternoons or after Jake got home from school. This was partly due to the fact that I didn't want to keep re-newing the book from the library and we would have never gotten through it just reading a few pages at night. But it turned out to be a great way to fill those times when they want TV. Now we can't wait to watch the Red Fern movie. We have a movie night planned for next weekend and it's one we are all looking foward to watching. We are also looking foward to the next chapter book. I have a long list full of books that I can't wait to read. Many of them are books I read as a kid, some are books I wish I had read as a kid. David and I decided to take turns reading, so I guess he will pick the next book.

1 comment:

Stephanie said...

yay, you're back!

Good idea on the chapter books. I will try that with Grant when he's a little older. If I have to read Berenstain Bears one more time, I will die.