Tuesday, June 16, 2009

The Bikes and the Garage Sale

Last October, I bought some "gently" used, rusty bikes from craigslist. Not the best, but they worked. For Tylers "potty present" I picked up a bike for him at Meijers. He adores it, and rides it every day.

Originally, I was looking for a bike trailer thing for Tyler to ride in, but he wants to be just like Jake, and I was afraid he would get bored, plus he needs some exercise too! So, now we are all set for summer riding on the bike trail. We took the boys for the first time a few weeks ago, and they loved it. We saw lots of deer and Tyler rode 2 miles!

Last week, David and I had a "date night" and we hit the trail again and rode for 6 miles. It was nice to break away from the dinner and a movie routine for dates. Not that we go on that many anyway, but we had a nice time being able to talk. Or complain. Both times we went on the trail, David b*tched about his bike, and how it doesn't shift, or the seat, or the suspension.....blah,blah. I was getting ready to have a garage sale with my sister the following weekend in Kalamazoo, so David suggested I sell the bikes and we would get new ones. BIG MISTAKE. How did I let him talk me into it? Maybe it was so I wouldn't have to listen to him complain everytime we took a bike ride.

So anyway, he loaded both bikes on top of the van and sort of tied them on with rope. (The garage sale requires it's own separate post). So, I drive the hour to Kalamazoo, down I-94, hoping the bikes don't come off the top of the van. Getting them off the van when I arrived at my sisters was FUN too. So on garage sale day, I'm out scrubbing the rusty bikes with SOS pads hoping someone will buy them so I don't have to tie them to the roof again. A woman offers me 15.00 a bike and they are sold!

Now, we have no bikes, and I'm out 20.00 bucks, because I paid 25.00 and sold them for 15. Do we have $200.00 dollars a piece for new bikes? No. If I had $400.00 would I go buy new bikes? No. I have a looong list of things I would much rather spend $400.00 dollars on, and at the top is a Dyson vacuum.

So much for riding the bike trail this summer.

No comments: