Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Alligator Farm

David left me home a few weekends ago while he and his 3 buddies went up north for a weekend. I feel bad saying it, but I dread being left with the kids by myself. After being home with them all week, when the weekend comes, I'm ready for a break and some help. So when he leaves, I get no relief and I need some things to fill the days, because they drag.

We had to be gone for most of the day Friday because my house was being cleaned. That's right- I'm a stay at home mom and I had a cleaning lady come clean my house. I know what you are thinking- just know it was a baby gift. After 3 boys there isn't much left to get for gifts- I've got it all- and this was by far the best one I received. I can't tell you how excited I was. My house has never been clean all at the same time, let alone me not being the one doing it. So Ty, Collin and I spent the day at the big library in Jackson because they have the best books, then we went to Sam's club for snack lunch. I love sample day! Oh, I almost forgot- I also had a crock pot going at home. It really doesn't get any better than this for me: crock pot+ library + cleaning lady +  Sam's Club snack day= one happy Sadie. After we went home and got Jake off the bus, we went to the orchard down the road for doughnuts and cider. Then it was time for dinner, had some bath time, and the boys and I had a movie night. Not too bad for my first day with David gone.

On Saturday, I had doughnuts and juice ready for the boys in the morning, and I had taught Jake how to work the remote the night before, so I slept in on Saturday! The boys came downstairs, had juice and doughnuts and watched tv until Collin and I got up. Then we picked pumpkins down the road from our house.

Then it was time to go to the alligator farm. My sister had told me about it, so I figured we go check it out. It sounded interesting to me. My friends Lindsay and Keri joined us since their husbands were with mine. We drove to Athens which is a tiny town and passed right by the farm, because it is a little janky place. It doesn't give you the best first impression, but I figured my sister would not send me to some hillbilly farm.

We walked in the building and we were greeted by the owner and his wife. He asked Jake to help him put a snake back in a cage that he had gotten out. He had quite a few different snakes, lizards, frogs and fish in the building.

Next up- the tour. Mr. Alligator is very passionate and knowledgeable about alligators. Most of the gators at his farm were once pets that people thought they could keep as pets. He keeps the gators outside until November then he moves them inside. He has a few big tortoises walking around and one that you could ride on. My kids wouldn't do it.

 Mr. Alligator was GREAT with the boys. Tyler was in one of his moods, I think he was tired and didn't want participate at all. Mr. Alligator wouldn't let him be sour. He tried his hardest to get him to join in the fun but Tyler wasn't having it. That is why he is not in any of the pictures.


There were some bigger gators and Jake got to feed them, but that point of the tour, I had to feed and change Collin and my camera was out of battery. I am thankful my friends came because I woud have not been able to do it by myself. It cracks me up because they don't even have kids yet and they still wanted to come along. It's fun for the whole family!
After we got home and put I put the kids in bed, the girls and I stayed up and drank wine and had some girl talk until 2 am! Having David gone wasn't bad at all but I was glad went he came home.

If you want to go to the alligator farm: http://www.alligatorsanctuary.com/

1 comment:

Sherrie said...

Wow Jake, We can't believe you picked up all those reptiles and with a smile on your face. I guess I know who to call when I see a snake, said Nana.