Monday, October 4, 2010

I Didn't Know

I can't believe after 3 kids I did not know this. The last few weeks we have quite a few social engagements and I have made up for not having any cocktails for the last nine months. I am not a big drinker, but if we are out, I like to have a few drinks. I don't stop at one, so when I get home I usually pump and dump. I was under the impression that if I pumped and dumped, I got most of the alcohol out of the milk, and I was o.k. to feed Collin at the next feeding. NOT SO! As long as the alcohol is in your blood, it is in your milk. So pumping and dumping will not clear the alcohol out of your milk if you still have it in your bloodstream. Depending on how many drinks you have had depends on how long it will take to pass anywhere from 3-8 hours. So no more pumping and dumping! It just takes time to clear it out of your system. Make sense?

Here is a great new product they make for those nights when you need a drink:
They are test strips that test the amount of alcohol in your milk. This way you know when to safely feed your baby. However, they are hard to find! A lot of retailers are currently out of stock. Walgreen's is the only retailer in Jackson that I have seen sell it on the shelves and they are out of stock. Happy drinking!

1 comment:

LeeAnn | {froggyleggs} said...

Yes no more pump n dump! You can even keep your milk in and just wait till its out of your system. I think the rule of thumb that I heard recently is wait 1-2 hours per drink. If you are sober enough to drive, you are sober enough to breastfeed. But dont pump and dump if you dont have to, unless you need to relieve yourself of course, while you are waiting out the time wait.