Tuesday, October 26, 2010

I love me some Crockpot

I love, love, love my crockpot. I feel so accomplished having dinner done at the start of the day. I could have a horrible, terrible, no good very bad day at it's o.k. because dinner is done my friends. I really like it on days when my cleaning fairy comes, because then I have dinner done and a clean house. Lately I have tried to have crockpot dinners once a week. There is just something about fall and crockpots that goes together. I have a few favorites and I am going to share those with you- my lucky blog readers. If I'm going to have the title Domestic Diva- I better have some recipes-right?

Potato Soup
You can make this one the night before!
6 cups diced, peeled potatoes
5 cups water
2 cups diced onions
1/2 cup chopped onion
1/4 cup butter
4 tsp. chicken bouillon granules
2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper
12 oz. can evaporated milk
3 Tbsp. chopped fresh parsley
8 oz. cheddar or colby cheese

1. Combine all ingredients except milk, parsley, and cheese in slow cooker.
2. Cook on high 7-8 hours.
3. Stir in milk, cheese, and parsley. Stir until cheese melts.

If you want you can add bacon bits and chives. Serve with biscuits.

Scalloped Potatoes and Ham
8 potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced
1 onion chopped
1 pound ham steak, cubed in 1 inch pieces
1 package country style gravy mix (1 oz.)
1 can cream of mushroom soup
2 cups water
2 cups shredded cheddar cheese

Combine potatoes, onion, and ham in lightly greased crockpot. Combine gravy mix, mushroom soup, and water, whisk until combined. Pour gravy mixture over potatoes. Cover and cook on low 7-9 hours (high 3-4 hours). Top with cheese during last 30 min. of cooking.


Pulled Pork
Pick up one of these packets.
You will need:
3 lbs. pork shoulder roast (I have used pork loin, it works- but shoulder roast tastes better.)
1/2 cup ketchup
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/3 cup cider vinegar

Follow directions on back of packet. Makes 10 servings, if you have left overs it freezes well.

Serve on buns with sweet potato fries.


Calico Beans  This is one of my favorite meals of all time. It can be baked in the oven, or pop in slow cooker if you want. If you let this one cook a long time, it may burn around the edges. It is not a "true" crockpot recipe. It also has a lot of prep work.
1 lb. ground beef and 1/2 cup chopped onion- cooked and drained
1/2 pound bacon- cooked and cut in pieces
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup ketchup
1 tsp. vinegar
1 tsp. mustard
14 oz. pork and beans
14 oz. kidney beans, drained
14 oz. lima beans, drained

Throw it all in the crock pot and cook on low until ready to eat or bake in oven at 350 for 1 hour.
Serve with brown and serve rolls and applesauce.

Taco Soup
1 lb. extra lean ground beef
1 onion, chopped
3 cans 15 oz. each mild chili beans, undrained
1 can chopped tomatoes 14 oz.
1 can corn, undrained 14 oz.
1 can 8 oz. tomato sauce
1 pkg. taco bell taco seasoning mix
1 1/2 cups water
1 1/2 cups cheddar cheese

Brown meat with onions in saucepan, drain.
Add all remaining ingredients except cheese. Stir.
Cook on low until you are ready to eat. Serve topped with cheese and sour cream.

Applesauce
Not a meal, but fun to make and tastes yummy!
15 apples (golden delicious)
1/2 cup water
1 cup white sugar
2 tsp cinnamon

Core, peel, and slice apples (about 1/2 in. thick). Combine all ingredients in slow cooker. Cook on low 5 hours. Once it has cooled, use hand mixer to make smooth. Can be frozen. I have also put the apples over ice cream before they have cooled and made smooth.

Don't forget good ole pot roast! I make mine with dry onion soup mix, cream of celery soup, 1 soup can of water, 2 Tbsp. flour, 2 beef bouillon cubes, chuck roast, carrots, onions, and potatoes.


 Got a fave? Share it with me! Or link it up.

2 comments:

Jessy Schoch said...

Love it, I'm going to have to try some of these!! I agree there is nothing better than having dinner ready at the end of the day!!

CJR said...

I am going to try these! Just got a new crock pot. I am making an herbed Turkey breast this week in "practice" mode for Thanksgiving lol.