Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Not how it was supposed to be

We have had plans to go to Florida over spring break for over a year now. My mom rented a condo right on the beach for the month of April to spend time with my Grandpa who lives down there in the winter. I have not been to Florida to visit him since 2003. I was excited to take the boys to the beach and let Grandpa watch them play. Unfortunately, he suffered a stroke 3 weeks ago and was in a rehabilitation center. Then the worst came when he suffered another major stroke on Friday. This time he did not pull through it and he passed away last night. I cannot believe that in a little over 2 weeks we would have been there. As for now, we are still planning on going, but it will not be the same without Grandpa there.

There are going to be many traditions that just won't be the same. Every year we spend the 4th of July in Harbor Springs where Grandpa had a summer condo. I've done it since I can remember and loved sharing the tradition with my boys. I am thankful that we were all able to celebrate the 4th together this past year with Grandpa. This is our last family picture with him. But I am already thinking about this summer, and wondering if we will still go over to Harbor. I just don't see the point without him being there.

Another tradition we will miss is even at the age of 89, my Grandpa sent cards for almost every holiday. Our last card was on Valentines day and he send the boys each a card with $5 dollars in it. They were thrilled. When I was explaining to Tyler who it was from he said "Grandpa John? That old dude? I have seen that dude." I still smile when I read it because it is such a kid way of looking at things.

He will be missed, and I am thankful for all the memories I have. He lived a long, wonderful life and now he gets to see my Grandma waiting for him in heaven.

4 comments:

Nicole said...

Awww Sadie I'm so so sorry to hear this! I hope you guys will be able to enjoy your vacation still, although it will most definitely be missing a huge part. I know how it is... all the firsts after a loved one pass are so hard. All our vacations after my MIL passed away just felt like there was an empty seat.

Jessy Schoch said...

I'm so sorry!! I could be all cheesy and say that I'm sure your Grandma and Grandpa will still enjoy watching the boys play on the beach :) If you need to chat give me a call!!

The Knoll Family said...

I am so sorry to hear of your loss - my thoughts and prayers are with you.

Stacey Richardson said...

I loved 4th of July in Harbor... you guys should still do it. How's mom? So sorry, see ya on the flip side gramps.